|Welcome to our newest member, aramainep
The "What went/ is going wrong today?" thread.
Jul 08, 2012 - 4:26 PM - by willsellout
In the interest of fairness, I think we should have a place to post shit that sucks as well as a place to post when it does not.
I've got a headache that won't go away, my kid is acting retarded, I am traveling for work for the next week, and I don't really have any food in the house that I want to eat.
On the plus side, my kid is in her room for the foreseeable future, I have alcohol to help with the headache, and I'm sending the wife to the store to pick up some food. I'm also packed for my trip.
Anyone write a book?
Apr 29, 2016 - 9:33 PM - by Thunderbroom
I was approached late last year to cowrite a text book in my technical area. I politely declined. The guy contacted me again earlier this year and flew out here from some where in NY to meet with me and others in the area. After meeting with him, I warmed to the idea but still am on the fence. I met with the local managing editor today.
- Co-authoring instead of authoring which means writing about 25% of the book or about 12 chapters of about 20 - 30 pages each.
- Getting my name on a book in my field can't be bad professionally.
- A private association, in conjunction with industry professionals, as developed a set of national standards for the profession where none have existed...this is the partnered textbook.
- Starting my new job in a few weeks, and the next academic year will be extremely challenging with new faculty that need to be mentored in addition to running the larger department and still teaching 2 - 3 classes a semester.
- The employers that I work closely with could care less about these standards. They like what they're getting from my program. If employers, at a macro US level don't buy in to these standards, the book likely won't sell. I'm not optimistic on this standard taking off.
- The money isn't great. The author of a book tends to make 10% on sales. Since I will likely be 1 of 4, this is now at 2.5%. He said a good book for them sells $500k yearly. He doesn't expect this book to hit that mark...at least in its first edition. Short term, I can make more doing contract training, and honestly, money is mostly a non-issue for me at this point so maybe this isn't a con.
I haven't talked with my wife about it as she's been in China. I'm picking her up tomorrow morning. We'll talk once she gets settled back home. I'm sure she will want me to do it because it's HER dream/goal to author academic books.
Any insight from the folks here? I told the guy that I'd get back with him next week. Worst case scenario, that we agreed on today, is that I could write the first chapter. At that point, I can walk or they can terminate the relationship in necessary.
Men's Fashion/Clothing/Shoes thread
Sep 10, 2011 - 11:55 PM - by King Kashue
I wanted to mention this great sale at Jos. A. Bank for anyone who is looking for suits. 40% off the 1st, 60% off the 2nd, 70% off the 3rd, 80% off the 4th. If anyone needs to create a wardrobe from scratch, you can get 4 suits for the price of 1.5.
And since since several threads have been started seeking advice when interviewing, etc., I figured a thread dedicated to the general subject would be a useful resource, so here it is.
As a note, I'm definitely buying this suit, because it's something Don Draper would wear and I'm a follower...
Edit: As a note on the sale, the website's shopping cart doesn't seem to be working correctly, so if you take advantage, figure out what you want and then place the order by phone.
» Today's Visitors
|Registered Visitors: 82
The most members online over 24 hours was 453, 01-16-2013 at 09:48 PM.78pbass
, bassment zombie
, Brother Mango
, Croissant Seven
, Don MC
, J the D
, james on bass
, Jazz Ad
, King Kashue
, L. Ron Hoover
, One Bad Monkey
, steers b-c
, Taustin Powers
, Uncle Mat