ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 01-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
BottomHeavyKate

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
ebassist Dating Thread....

Since all we do now is run on super threads and some interesting conversation is getting lost in "what went wrong"....here is the online dating thread.

Go.

Edited title to more accurately reflect the content at hand.

Innocent post from Kate.
Cocks come cock it all up.
Kate starts cursing.
Kate realizes that cocks are cocking her out of love.
Kate rides the wave.
Group hug.
t3ch says something racist.

Last edited by BottomHeavyKate; 01-06-2013 at 08:23 PM.
BottomHeavyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
slapthefunkyfour
Something Creative Here

Send a message via Skype™ to slapthefunkyfour
Woo Hoo!!!

Kate,
I saw your profile, and I'm interested in talking to you sometime. I see you play the bass and you like to ride bicycles. That's awesome! Let me know if you're interested!
Thanks,
Matt

See, I'm getting the hang of this. I'm not sure if it will work though.....
slapthefunkyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Brother Mango
Full of Capsaicin

What are we discussing here?

My dating life has been pretty interesting the past 2 years. Overall, I've been happy with it. "Online" dating isn't worth pursuing. Real life dating has been fine. Looking forward to 2013.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
BeeTL
Seņor Member

Quote:
slapthefunkyfour said... View Post
Woo Hoo!!!

Kate,
I saw your profile, and I'm interested in talking to you sometime. I see you play the bass and you like to ride bicycles. That's awesome! Let me know if you're interested!
Thanks,
Matt
+1
Quote:
Brother Mango said... View Post
"Online" dating isn't worth pursuing.
BOOOOO!!!

www.lowecustomguitars.com

I belong to the chrysanthemum hour of bright flowers placed in tall vases. - t3ch
BeeTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Seethroughsouls
Down with Whitey!

I'd love to give it a try but am afraid my wife would catch me and kill me.

Quote:
Try heaven for the scenery and hell for the company
Work hard today! Millions on welfare are counting on you.
Seethroughsouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
solderjunkie
Deprecated

Quote:
Seethroughsouls said... View Post
This!

Then again, she might want "in" on it...
Old 01-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
LonerMatt

Quote:
Woo Hoo!!!

Kate,
Thanks,
Matt

See, I'm getting the hang of this. I'm not sure if it will work though.....
IMO, something more like this would work better:

Kate,

It's great to find another bass player on a site like this, or even another peson with interest in music. Do you play in any bands currently? What about other instruments? I play guitar and bass, and have for ages, so many good times.

I'm also intruiged by cycling - it's something I've seen a lot of (there are a lot of cyclists around me), but never really had a go at. Is it hard to get into?

Hope you're having a good day,

Matt

Personally, I prefer to ask questions first to give people the chance to answer and talk about themselves - usually if they are polite/chatty/interested they'll add in a few of their own questions. After a few messages then go on to asking for a number or meeting up.

Not that I'm into online dating, but opening with "let's talk sometime", to me, is a bit brash.
Tumblr
LonerMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Zeromus-X

Quote:
LonerMatt said... View Post
Not that I'm into online dating, but opening with "let's talk sometime", to me, is a bit brash.
Agreed... your example also is open-ended and not just a "yes/no" question, so she can't just reply with "no". That's also a good rule for sex.*

*Not a rapist
Zeromus-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
D Aussie
Cock Head

Just be careful with online dating.

One of my friends is currently employed to be 12 different female personas on a very well known dating site.

He has a book of photos for each of them, and only responds to emails, or text chat.
It's creepy talking to him now, in real life
Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Brother Mango
Full of Capsaicin

Quote:
Seethroughsouls said... View Post
Have you tried? You might be pleasantly surprised.
Brother Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
bassman1956
Chasing Jaffas

Location: they say if I'm nice, they'll unstrap my arms next week... but I don't trust them!
Quote:
D Aussie said... View Post

One of my friends is currently employed to be 12 different female personas on a very well known dating site.

He has a book of photos for each of them, and only responds to emails, or text chat.
Sounds like he works for e-Harmony.

Daniel Emon, WoodenBoat Magazine
bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
p1gg1e

Quote:
BottomHeavyKate said... View Post
Since all we do now is run on super threads and some interesting conversation is getting lost in "what went wrong"....here is the online dating thread.

Go.
How you doin?....
Quote:
Samson said... View Post
Like a sunset, or honeydew mellon, or a 3rd nipple.
Quote:
King Kashue said... View Post
She's right

Quote:
catphish said... View Post
Sorry piggie. You were right.
p1gg1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
BottomHeavyKate

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
Quote:

What do you mean employed?

I just got a google voice number so I don't have to give out my regular number right away.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Brother Mango
Full of Capsaicin

Quote:
BeeTL said... View Post
+1

BOOOOO!!!
You in favor of online dating?
I've seen people for whom it's been successful. They made it work. It hasn't worked for me. No big deal. There are plenty of real life women around if I go out into the world and make myself available.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
BottomHeavyKate

I'd rather meet someone through friends, but the pool doesn't appear promising.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
D Aussie
Cock Head

Quote:
What do you mean employed?
He gets paid to 'be' several different online ladies to keep the numbers of ladies up high enough for gentlemen to spend their dollars on the site thinking it is overly turgid wit da ladies.
D Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
slapthefunkyfour
Something Creative Here

Quote:

Kate,

It's great to find another bass player on a site like this, or even another peson with interest in music. Do you play in any bands currently? What about other instruments? I play guitar and bass, and have for ages, so many good times.

I'm also intruiged by cycling - it's something I've seen a lot of (there are a lot of cyclists around me), but never really had a go at. Is it hard to get into?

Matt

Personally, I prefer to ask questions first to give people the chance to answer and talk about themselves - usually if they are polite/chatty/interested they'll add in a few of their own questions. After a few messages then go on to asking for a number or meeting up.

Excellent advice. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think to ask questions about them instead of just asking if they want to talk. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
slapthefunkyfour
Something Creative Here

Quote:

I'm positive that I've discovered some of those types. If you're not dumb, they are easy to spot. Contradicting descriptions and pictures. Most guys are just thinking about getting laid, and never spend the time to actually READ the profile.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
slapthefunkyfour
Something Creative Here

Quote:
I know the feeling. I'd much rather meet somebody through friends, but you have to have friends first. I'm hoping online dating will help me meet some new friends. If one of those friends happens to turn into a relationship, cool. I've really got no expectations.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Brother Mango
Full of Capsaicin

Quote:
I don't think you're going to get quality input from a bunch of men. One goof I made was listening to women about how men should date. That set me up to be the nice guy who watched women go get in some other guy's bed. I ended up with a whole lot of female buddies, and got resentful.

I learned really really late, and learned from men who were successful at dating. Noting that "dating" is different from "looking for a wife" or "successful at marriage." Those are very different mindsets and actions.

Where do women go to meet potential dates? You'd like to be introduced through friends but it's not looking promising. Congratulations that you're taking actions. Doing something is better than doing nothing. But I wonder what the advice for women would be.

The advice for men is to get out there in the world and let your intentions and desires be known. It's not the same for women (generally). And I doubt that the advice is the opposite: go and hide.

===
One thing that was great about Dr. Glover's book and online courses was that he gave us permission to own whatever it was we were looking for. There was no shame if we were out in the world looking for a blowjob or a wife or a steady girlfriend. So, the whole adventure started with "what the hell do I want? Honestly!" From there, it became a numbers game and it was fun.

One result was ending up naked in the bathroom with a woman I met at a friend's wedding reception. That never would have happened through some smelly ol' online dating thing. That came from being out in real life, knowing what I wanted, seeing a woman in a purple dress walk in ... suddenly, I was an unabashed shark and there was blood in the water.

A few months prior, I may have not tried at all or, I would have been a nice guy, invited her out on a few dates and ended up being a buddy ... harboring secret resentment that she never figured out that I didn't want to be on the buddy path.

How it is from a woman's side of the equation, I don't know. Only a woman is going to be able to say.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
Brother Mango
Full of Capsaicin

Quote:
I know the feeling. I'd much rather meet somebody through friends, but you have to have friends first. I'm hoping online dating will help me meet some new friends. If one of those friends happens to turn into a relationship, cool. I've really got no expectations.
Stop it. That sounds so pusillanimous. A man relying on friends to introduce him to women. This treats dating like a pressurized life-or-death ordeal that you have to be eased into. If you have to be eased into it, sign up for a watercolor painting course and meet some women in there--on your own.

Even if you had a whole lot of friends, do you trust them to do the filtering for you?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #22
perrydabassman
Willie - big pianist

Quote:
I've seen people for whom it's been successful. They made it work. It hasn't worked for me. No big deal. There are plenty of real life women around if I go out into the world and make myself available.
I just married someone I met online.......
perrydabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #23
Brother Mango
Full of Capsaicin

Quote:
perrydabassman said... View Post
I just married someone I met online.......
More power to ya'. I know of at least 2 more couples who can say the same.
However, 5'4" Black guys have to go out in the world and be fearless with a 6'3" personality. We get filtered out of online dating checklists.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
CHUNKY-B
Down at the Crossroads

Quote:
I would too, but that would mean I have to have friends, too...
CHUNKY-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
Mobotch
rude and not ginger

I signed up for and filled out an okcupid profile about an hour ago. Despite seeing a few interesting 'matches' I deleted the account.
Probably had something to do with the 100+ laughable questions and the whole process making me feel desperate.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
BeeTL
Seņor Member

Quote:
I was hitting on Kate.

You implied it may note be the best strategy.

I was not happy.

BeeTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
Low Tone
GODDAMMIT, MR. NOODLE!

I've met 3 women from different "online" situations.

The first was dating at least 2 other guys at the time. None of us knew about each other. She was supporting herself by living off her "men friends."

The second turned into a cool friendship but the romantic spark was never there. We just sorta hung out together. Didn't even get to the "friends with benefits" stage.

The third was a long distance thing that started on another forum and wasted about 2 years of my life on phone calls and internet chats. She never did get up enough courage to meet me face to face. I finally gave up on her and she moved in with another (former?) member from this forum.

Anyway. I'm not likely to try online dating again. It never worked out for me and I think Mrs. Tone would be pissed if I tried it now.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
Brother Mango
Full of Capsaicin

Quote:
Low Tone said... View Post

The third was a long distance thing that started on another forum and wasted about 2 years of my life on phone calls and internet chats. She never did get up enough courage to meet me face to face. I finally gave up on her and she moved in with another (former?) member from this forum.
I encountered something similar with local women: the online thing goes on for ever and ever and never converts into a face-to-face meeting before I call shenanigans.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
perrydabassman
Willie - big pianist

Quote:
I encountered something similar with local women: the online thing goes on for ever and ever and never converts into a face-to-face meeting before I call shenanigans.
I think my bride and I decided to meet (in a public place) after about three or four online conversations, the spark was there, and after a short engagement (8 years) we decided to tie the knot.
perrydabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #30
Zamfir
Storming your castle...

Quote:

Kate,

Matt

...spellcheck!!!

Quote:
Excellent advice. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think to ask questions about them instead of just asking if they want to talk. Thanks!
Absolutely ask her questions about herself - that's your default approach to any conversation / keeping it going. Keep it light, fun, and nothing sensitive/too personal.

You'll learn loads about the other person. Most people like talking about themselves, and IMO, most women want to feel that you're interested in her as an individual.

but I'm just growin' old...
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote