ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #841
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

The rule I've heard for stem length is that the elbow should be laterally 3-4cm ahead of the knee at the front of the stroke, which is about where I'm at. For seat height, I also made sure my foot was level to the ground when I locked my knee at stroke bottom.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #842
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
The rule I've heard for stem length is that the elbow should be laterally 3-4cm ahead of the knee at the front of the stroke, which is about where I'm at. For seat height, I also made sure my foot was level to the ground when I locked my knee at stroke bottom.
if it works for you, then go with it I guess. everything I saw said your knees should never *quite* lock out throughout the pedal stroke.

YMMV and all that though.
mlwarriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #843
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

They shouldn't; that's just how the seat is adjusted.
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #844
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
mlwarriner said... View Post
watching the tour of California while sitting in my hotel room really makes me miss my roadie
Quote:
L. Ron Hoover said... View Post
You can get pills to help with that.
trying to close the deal on a slightly used road bike drivetrain that i'll use to convert my fart-around bike into a roadie/gravel grinder.

aww yeah.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #845
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

Watching the TdF in the Armstrong era is what got me into riding again.

I haven't ridden the roadie much in the last decade.

I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or move on.

www.lowecustomguitars.com

I belong to the chrysanthemum hour of bright flowers placed in tall vases. - t3ch
BeeTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #846
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

My dad gave me his old 1977 Super Course last night. It's in rough shape and needs a paint job but all the components are there. It's one frame size two big for me (23.5" vs 21.5") so I might try to do a 650b conversion on it and see if that will bring down the standover height enough.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #847
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

I've got it stripped except for the right crank, bottom bracket, seat post, and stem. Tools are in the mail for the former two, but the latter two are really stuck -- aluminum oxidized into a steel frame from 30 years in a damp garage. I may not be able to get them out, but I have yet to apply the combined magic of chemistry and a BFH.

The chain, chain rings, and front derailer are totally shot. The rear derailer needs to be rebuilt. My dad has an extra set of dura ace components lying around but it seems kind of silly to put them on this bike, so unless I fix the original parts I may fit it with an internally geared hub.

Assuming I get the post and stem out, my plan is to get new brake mounts brazed onto the frame, fit it with either 26" or 650c wheels (I may have to build them myself), touch up the paint or have it powder coated, restore the decals, and clear coat it.

If I can't remove the post and stem without a hacksaw or a machine shop, I'm not sure it will be worth it to salvage the frame. I could try to find a super course frame in the right size and rebuild it with original components. As long as I'm doing stupid bike things, I guess I could have a frame builder chop and resize this frame.

Dumb and impractical, but it'll be a fun frankenbike.

Last edited by ec437; 05-24-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:28 AM   #848
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

This stem is permanently attached to the frame.

I soaked the steer tube with ammonia for 24 hours and wailed on that 4 foot pipe as hard as I could. All I did was bend the top of the stem.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #849
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
This stem is permanently attached to the frame.

I soaked the steer tube with ammonia for 24 hours and wailed on that 4 foot pipe as hard as I could. All I did was bend the top of the stem.
Fire wrench?
Old 05-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #850
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

Not sure I follow.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #851
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
Def fire

Innocent post from Kate.
Cocks come cock it all up.
Kate starts cursing.
Kate realizes that cocks are cocking her out of love.
Kate rides the wave.
Group hug.
t3ch says something racist.
www.cmkfinancialservices.com

BottomHeavyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #852
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
don't listen to me
Old 05-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #853
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

Quote:
BottomHeavyKate said... View Post
don't listen to me
Not to worry; I never do!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #854
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #855
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
Not sure I follow.
Heat the steerer tube/stem area with a torch until its hot then try to work the stem loose.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #856
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

Aluminum expands faster than steel! I suspect that would only make it more stuck - maybe if I sprayed liquid nitrogen inside...?
Old 05-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #857
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

From the source of all arcane bike wisdom:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-stem.html
BeeTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:49 AM   #858
King Kashue
Hippity hoppity

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
maybe if I sprayed liquid nitrogen inside...?
Is it a T-1000? Because otherwise...

"Flying underwater is a helluva thing." - Bro. Mango
"be warned - all women are lying cheating whores" - Weirdocat
"In my opinion it would be a lot better to get some fact into our STUFF" - Helen V. Beden.
King Kashue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #859
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

so I'm in the process of putting a road bike back together using what I have for parts and what I can acquire used on the semi-cheap. I just picked up a whole drivetrain, but am considering running a mountain bike rear derailleur (with my road bike shifter/brake levers) so that I can run a much larger cassette back there. anybody know, for sure, if shimano Ultegra 9-speed brifters will work with a Shimano XT rear mech?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #860
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
Aluminum expands faster than steel! I suspect that would only make it more stuck - maybe if I sprayed liquid nitrogen inside...?
I ended up hacksawing the top of the stem off to remove the fork. As for the seat post, I filled the frame with ammonia and let it soak for 5 days. I clamped the post in a bench vise and yanked hard on the head tube - nothing. I put a 12" pipe wrench on there and bashed it with a hammer - still nothing.

Next options are

1. bore out fork and seat tube
2. melt the aluminum out with fire - I don't know much about metallurgy, maybe this would screw up the integrity of the steel somehow
3. melt the aluminum out with sodium hydroxide - yuck
Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #861
82Daion
partofthesolutionproblem

You aren't supposed to melt the parts with the torch, just heat them up so that the expansion/contraction breaks the bond formed by the corrosion. I mean, maybe someone does that in bikeworld but at least with my experience using torches in auto repair you're never trying to make anything molten except maybe rubber bushings.

If you get it hot enough to melt the aluminum you're almost certainly going to compromise the heat treatment used to strengthen the frame.
82Daion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #862
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

Quote:
82Daion said... View Post
You aren't supposed to melt the parts with the torch, just heat them up so that the expansion/contraction breaks the bond formed by the corrosion. I mean, maybe someone does that in bikeworld but at least with my experience using torches in auto repair you're never trying to make anything molten except maybe rubber bushings.

If you get it hot enough to melt the aluminum you're almost certainly going to compromise the heat treatment used to strengthen the frame.
Well yeah, of course, one wouldn't normally literally melt parts. But, these are the most stuck parts I've ever encountered in years of working on cars and bikes and they're already destroyed, so
Old 06-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #863
L. Ron Hoover
Slidey McGee

Quote:
so I'm in the process of putting a road bike back together using what I have for parts and what I can acquire used on the semi-cheap. I just picked up a whole drivetrain, but am considering running a mountain bike rear derailleur (with my road bike shifter/brake levers) so that I can run a much larger cassette back there. anybody know, for sure, if shimano Ultegra 9-speed brifters will work with a Shimano XT rear mech?
I don't know the answer to this but you also need to make sure the chanrings and cassette are compatible. I wouldn't assume they are.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #864
L. Ron Hoover
Slidey McGee

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
Well yeah, of course, one wouldn't normally literally melt parts. But, these are the most stuck parts I've ever encountered in years of working on cars and bikes and they're already destroyed, so
The frame is steel and the seatpost is aluminum, right? I don't think heating it would help from an expansion/contraction point of view but it might shift whatever is holding them together. You probably could have gotten the stem off that way because the fork steer tube is steel. Am I right in believing the fork is still stuck?
L. Ron Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #865
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
I don't know the answer to this but you also need to make sure the chanrings and cassette are compatible. I wouldn't assume they are.
further research and inquiry on various sources of questionable validity says that up to and including 9 speed drivetrains, shimano was fully compatible. they didn't start their cable pull ratio fuckery until 10 speed.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #866
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

Quote:
The frame is steel and the seatpost is aluminum, right? I don't think heating it would help from an expansion/contraction point of view but it might shift whatever is holding them together. You probably could have gotten the stem off that way because the fork steer tube is steel. Am I right in believing the fork is still stuck?
Fork is out, stem is still stuck in the steer tube.

The parts are held in by aluminum oxide, which is larger in volume than aluminum and, I think, bonds with steel? Aluminum expands faster than steel, so heating the parts will only make the aluminum more stuck.

I've done some research, though, and the main tubes are not heat treated and explicitly retain their structure to brass brazing temperatures (i.e., around 1600F). The rest of the tubes are 20-30 high carbon steel and also brazed. Based on that, I suspect reheating to 1250F would not cause any problems.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #867
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
Fork is out, stem is still stuck in the steer tube.
can you get a hacksaw blade down the top of the steer tube? what about just slicing through one side of what's left of the stem and prying/folding it out with a screwdriver or something?
Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #868
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

Quote:
can you get a hacksaw blade down the top of the steer tube? what about just slicing through one side of what's left of the stem and prying/folding it out with a screwdriver or something?
The hole in the stem is smaller in diameter than the width of a standard hacksaw blade, but yes, that is also an option.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #869
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
The hole in the stem is smaller in diameter than the width of a standard hacksaw blade, but yes, that is also an option.
chisel that's just narrow enough to not gouge the fork, but will cut the stem?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #870
King Kashue
Hippity hoppity

Chucking the whole thing because the time you're spending on it is more valuable than just purchasing new parts (or different used parts)?
King Kashue is online now   Reply With Quote