ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #31
lug

Quote:
oldivor said... View Post
It looked better than L4D to me.
It couldn't possibly be as good as the L4D series because the L4D series has one thing it doesn't. The ability to play alongside Lug.
The path of the sucky man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of bass men. Blessed is he who, in the name Lug and good will, shepherds the on-beat rhythm through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost notes and tunings. And I will strike down upon thy strings with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to play on beat and in tune. And you will know my name is Lug when I lay my MP3's upon you! - CHUNKY-B
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #32
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Ugh, named badguys with unique drops respawn in Borderlands...

"Flying underwater is a helluva thing." - Bro. Mango
"be warned - all women are lying cheating whores" - Weirdocat
"In my opinion it would be a lot better to get some fact into our STUFF" - Helen V. Beden.
King Kashue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #33
oldivor
take it easy

You mean bosses etc?

Yeah, after you beat the play through you're on and playing it again on the same play through the bosses are still there.
oldivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #34
Reverend179

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend179
Quote:
King Kashue said... View Post
Ugh, named badguys with unique drops respawn in Borderlands...
Farmory runs are pretty integral to late-game gear. I got my dark orange Detonating Hammer from a farmory run.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #35
Mr.Mow
Doodle

I'm playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 at the mo.. yawn..

trudge trudge trudge, shoot shoot shoot, watch story bit.. repeat..

Tried it online.. even worse, having to contend with twitch reflex guys who know every bare millimetre of the playing area, spawn, die, spawn die.. flick power switch..
Mr.Mow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #36
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Got my kinect hooked up tonight... Only played Kinect Adventures which was kinda laggy, but fun so far. Can't wait to get into Dance Central tomorrow.

t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #37
niomosy

Quote:
Mr.Mow said... View Post
I'm playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 at the mo.. yawn..

trudge trudge trudge, shoot shoot shoot, watch story bit.. repeat..

Tried it online.. even worse, having to contend with twitch reflex guys who know every bare millimetre of the playing area, spawn, die, spawn die.. flick power switch..
Battlefield 3 may be up your alley. Seems they're going to be putting in more realistic crouch/prone positioning so you won't be dealing with quite the twitch crowd as before.

The twitch games actually don't bother me much. I eventually got a better handle on them assuming I didn't have to jump into a game with people running aimbots and other such crap

WINNER of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award 8/8/2006

Blog
niomosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #38
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Quote:
You mean bosses etc?

Yeah, after you beat the play through you're on and playing it again on the same play through the bosses are still there.
Quote:
Reverend179 said... View Post
Farmory runs are pretty integral to late-game gear. I got my dark orange Detonating Hammer from a farmory run.
Feels like WoW.

And that's not a compliment.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #39
Reverend179

Quote:
Feels like WoW.

Or Diablo, take your pick. I geared up on my second farmory run for playthrough 3. At the end of the day, Borderlands boils down to nothing more than an admittedly enjoyable dick waving contest based on what color your gear is.
Reverend179 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 AM   #40
oldivor
take it easy

Quote:
Feels like WoW.

I don't think so. Of course, I could never get into WoW and thought it was pretty pointless.

There might be some similarities in pickups/etc but in many ways the games are completely different.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #41
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Quote:
I don't think so. Of course, I could never get into WoW and thought it was pretty pointless.

There might be some similarities in pickups/etc but in many ways the games are completely different.
I'm not talking the whole game, just the respawning bosses.

It kills a decent part of the "RPG" side of the "Shooter with RPG elements" equation.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #42
Vanlatte

Finally got Magicka working. Cute game, sorta fun. Checkpoints make zero sense to me, end up having to keep redoing the same levels from the start over and over again.

Now if I can just remember to stop setting myself on fire.

We live in an age where mass communication has counter intuitively turned all attempts at verbal debate into a basketball game where the teams are on different courts and stand around the basket racking up meaningless points and throwing shit over the dividing wall.

- Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Vanlatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #43
Vanlatte

Quote:
Or Diablo, take your pick. I geared up on my second farmory run for playthrough 3. At the end of the day, Borderlands boils down to nothing more than an admittedly enjoyable dick waving contest based on what color your gear is.
Diablo for sure, it's like an FPS/Sci-fi version. Complete with bosses that take 6 hours to kill.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #44
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Quote:
Vanlatte said... View Post
Finally got Magicka working. Cute game, sorta fun. Checkpoints make zero sense to me, end up having to keep redoing the same levels from the start over and over again.

Now if I can just remember to stop setting myself on fire.
+1.

Yesterday I got used to dying until I figured out how to get through that particular encounter.

Currently, I haven't solved the bee-looking trolls with some kind of shielding that fly around and play soccer with me.

Well that explains a lot: While the rest of the world is playing an "e" note, you're playing a schwa. -DevilRaysFan to lug

“There are thoughtless dilettanti or purblind worldlings who sometimes ask us: 'What is it that Britain and France are fighting for?' To this I answer: 'If we left off fighting, you would soon find out.'" -Winston Churchill
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #45
Vanlatte

Quote:
Zamfir said... View Post
+1.

Yesterday I got used to dying until I figured out how to get through that particular encounter.

Currently, I haven't solved the bee-looking trolls with some kind of shielding that fly around and play soccer with me.
Have you any idea how those checkpoints are supposed to work? They don't seem to act the way I expect them to based on my experience with 'checkpoints' in other games; when I die (which is often) sometimes it seems like I end up waaaaaaay back and have to trudge through the same area again. PITA when there are multiple bosses on the way. Other times I respawn right outside the last encounter, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason,

And leaving the game seems to always put my all the way back at the beginning of the chapter, even if I have activated checkpoints on the way.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #46
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Quote:
Vanlatte said... View Post
Have you any idea how those checkpoints are supposed to work? They don't seem to act the way I expect them to based on my experience with 'checkpoints' in other games; when I die (which is often) sometimes it seems like I end up waaaaaaay back and have to trudge through the same area again. PITA when there are multiple bosses on the way. Other times I respawn right outside the last encounter, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason,

And leaving the game seems to always put my all the way back at the beginning of the chapter, even if I have activated checkpoints on the way.
IIRC, the game said the checkpoints are simply healing stations before you come up on the next encounter.

It doesn't always put you too far back, though on Level 2, though yes, there will be some trudges. I think I'm stuck in the middle of Level 3.

Read a post somewhere yesterday that said dying is part of the humor of the game when you're learning, so don't take it seriously.

Edit: I do get annoyed that I can't save my current location and come back to it.
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #47
t3ch
cucklord 9000

A checkpoint works exactly like you'd think, but if you exit the game you have to start the level over.

No, there aren't a million checkpoints throughout each level.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #48
t3ch
cucklord 9000

New Vegas for $15... don't mind if I do.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #49
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Dance Central is pretty fun... I feel like a moron playing it, but it's fun.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #50
oldivor
take it easy

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
New Vegas for $15... don't mind if I do.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #51
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Oh Fuck you Borderlands...I'm trying the different classes and do the Sniper Rifle Mission in Arid Hills:

Hunter gets a level 7 green...
Berserker gets a Level 10 PURPLE, Atlas with 2.4x zoom...

Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #52
Reverend179

As a hunter, you're gonna end up using pistols and revolvers as much if not more than your long gun. Sad to say, but there's not a whole lot of sniper rifles that match the amount of damage a revolver can do, and the zoom of revolvers and AR's almost always outstrips the sniper rifles (for some reason). Hell, I've got a shotgun with a 4x zoom.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #53
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Quote:
As a hunter, you're gonna end up using pistols and revolvers as much if not more than your long gun. Sad to say, but there's not a whole lot of sniper rifles that match the amount of damage a revolver can do
But they do it from much farther away and have a +200% crit modifier; which, if you're good is every shot (and hunters can get even more bonus on top of that). I'm only in the mid teens, but there's definitely no revolver doing 350+ damage per shot so far.

Quote:
the zoom of revolvers and AR's almost always outstrips the sniper rifles (for some reason).
Each type of weapon has a base zoom level, the zoom of the scope is on top of that. Sniper Rifles have the highest base zoom, which is why so many of them have "1.0x zoom", but they actually zoom in more in total.

The sniper rifle with 2.4x zoom sees half way across the damn map...and it's on my Berserker.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #54
Reverend179

Quote:
But they do it from much farther away and have a +200% crit modifier; which, if you're good is every shot (and hunters can get even more bonus on top of that). I'm only in the mid teens, but there's definitely no revolver doing 350+ damage per shot so far.

Each type of weapon has a base zoom level, the zoom of the scope is on top of that. Sniper Rifles have the highest base zoom, which is why so many of them have "1.0x zoom", but they actually zoom in more in total.

The sniper rifle with 2.4x zoom sees half way across the damn map...and it's on my Berserker.
Fire rate is the key. Trust me. I've got a capped hunter and a capped soldier. My hunter didn't touch sniper rifles until I got a Volcano, just because the Defiler pistol out dps's the sniper rifles 3:1.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #55
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Oh, and Jazzy said:

Quote:
Jazz Ad said... View Post
I started a Brick and damn, is it boring. A berserker in a game based on an abundance of guns and little to no melee weapons, sure it has to be a good idea.
Could not be further from the truth so far. Run in, shotgun blazing, blast people at point blank range, when the shield drops, I pop Berserk and finish of the rest; a dozen dead in 30 seconds and I end at full health and shields (which, at level 16 is 227/618).

Good stuff.

Last edited by King Kashue; 07-05-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: had my health number 98 too low.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #56
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Quote:
Fire rate is the key. Trust me. I've got a capped hunter and a capped soldier. My hunter didn't touch sniper rifles until I got a Volcano, just because the Defiler pistol out dps's the sniper rifles 3:1.
When I had a 1.8x scope on my hunter, I went a level and a half of outdoor fights without a single enemy closing with me because the fight began so far off (even with fast mobs like skags). With the 2.4x, sometimes the other mobs don't even see me and attack back, they just stand there waiting to get shot in the head.

Maybe the difference is co-op v. single player? Because so far, my hunter's used a sniper rifle outside for 90% of the fights and never had anything resembling an issue
Old 07-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #57
Reverend179

Quote:
When I had a 1.8x scope on my hunter, I went a level and a half of outdoor fights without a single enemy closing with me because the fight began so far off (even with fast mobs like skags). With the 2.4x, sometimes the other mobs don't even see me and attack back, they just stand there waiting to get shot in the head.

Maybe the difference is co-op v. single player? Because so far, my hunter's used a sniper rifle outside for 90% of the fights and never had anything resembling an issue
To be fair, I co-op'd the whole game with my roommate as a Hunter/Soldier combo. Tactics change.

Oh and Brick is fucking USELESS against Crawmerax later on. He's the only class that can't solo it.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #58
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Quote:
Oh and Brick is fucking USELESS against Crawmerax later on. He's the only class that can't solo it.
Can't solo it Melee or can't solo it at all, for some reason?

As a side note, I just did the first fights since getting the incendiary artifact to my berserk? Ho-lee-shit. I fucking melted three Alpha Skrags, it wasn't even funny.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #59
oldivor
take it easy

Quote:
As a hunter, you're gonna end up using pistols and revolvers as much if not more than your long gun. Sad to say, but there's not a whole lot of sniper rifles that match the amount of damage a revolver can do, and the zoom of revolvers and AR's almost always outstrips the sniper rifles (for some reason). Hell, I've got a shotgun with a 4x zoom.
Not all of us do.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #60
Orph

I'd like to try playing Magicka. Are there separate Europen / North American servers ?

I've been playing League of Legends lately. It's free, and fun to play if you've got a decent team on your side (random picks gets tedious after a while).

It's based on DOTA, but it's much more accessible to casual gamers.