ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #1501
LonerMatt

What I'm seeing is insane.

Al-Jazeera reporting is bordering on beautiful though.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #1502
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
Seethroughsouls said... View Post
The LA riots were more about police brutality than they were about race relations
That's not how I remember it being sold to me by my TV, though.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #1503
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
burdizzos said... View Post
Douchebag isn't strong enough.

Douchebags are harmless clowns who think they are cool. These policemen have a license to kill.

I'm not sure how anyone can justify the scenes recorded in Ferguson.
And that's just what we're seeing from cameras that havent been confiscated or destroyed.

How much brainwashing and hate training do these cops go through to make them believe that acting the way they do is normal and just?
Croissant Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #1504
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
Croissant Seven said... View Post
How much brainwashing and hate training do these cops go through to make them believe that acting the way they do is normal and just?
Sadly, not much. People are easily convinced that nearly anything is normal and just.
burdizzos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #1505
lug

Quote:
And that's just what we're seeing from cameras that havent been confiscated or destroyed.

Training is mostly High School football.
The path of the sucky man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of bass men. Blessed is he who, in the name Lug and good will, shepherds the on-beat rhythm through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost notes and tunings. And I will strike down upon thy strings with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to play on beat and in tune. And you will know my name is Lug when I lay my MP3's upon you! - CHUNKY-B
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #1506
Low Tone
Gone And Forgotten

Quote:
Quote:
Sadly, not much. People are easily convinced that nearly anything is normal and just.
Mob mentality. Eventually you start acting like those around you. Cops see other cops doing shit and so they start adapting those habits as well. It's the cop version of, "go ahead and take a hit, man! Everybody's doing it! Join the party!"
Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #1507
brett

Well, they finally named the officer in the Michael Brown case: Darren Wilson.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #1508
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Why did the cops sit on the information that this guy was stopped after robbing a convenience store?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #1509
King Kashue
Hippity hoppity

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Low Tone said... View Post
Mob mentality. Eventually you start acting like those around you. Cops see other cops doing shit and so they start adapting those habits as well.
This. It's not brainwashing - institutional forces are incredibly powerful influences on human behavior. We're pack animals and gravitate towards hierarchical authority. The Milgram experiments are famous for a reason, as is Zimbardo's Stanford Prison Experiment (though the latter wasn't remotely ethical in its process).

"Flying underwater is a helluva thing." - Bro. Mango
"be warned - all women are lying cheating whores" - Weirdocat
"In my opinion it would be a lot better to get some fact into our STUFF" - Helen V. Beden.
King Kashue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #1510
Low Tone
Gone And Forgotten

Quote:
King Kashue said... View Post
This. It's not brainwashing - institutional forces are incredibly powerful influences on human behavior. We're pack animals and gravitate towards hierarchical authority. The Milgram experiments are famous for a reason, as is Zimbardo's Stanford Prison Experiment (though the latter wasn't remotely ethical in its process).
Peer pressure to the max.

That's why cops don't rat out other cops regardless of their actions. The "brotherhood" mentality is so deeply ingrained in them that snorting cocaine in the locker room would be less frowned upon than ratting another out for illegal/unethical behavior.
Low Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #1511
CHUNKY-B
Down at the Crossroads

Woke up this morning and turned on the TV and ended up sitting through this movie and thinking about this thread the whole time...

CHUNKY-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #1512
Seethroughsouls
BHMCC

It's funny now, but it wasn't funny then, but, when I was tased they kept yelling "stop resisting! stop resisting!" while I was break dancing on the ground with the darts hanging off of my ribcage. I went to jail for drunk in public (I was in my living room when this happened), resisting arrest (completely guilty of that one), obstructing an officer in the performance of his duties (if his duties were to beat the fuck out of an innocent man with the help of a dozen or so of his fellow officers then I am guilty of that one too), and battery of a peace officer.

Funny how they refer to themselves as peace officers.

Anyhow my ex wife was having a "passion party" downstairs and I guess the music and cackling women was getting too loud for our neighbor, so they called the cops. My ex comes upstairs and says OMG the police are here and want to talk to someone that lives here, I said you live here go talk to them. She was drunk and so were her loud assed friends, I was sober as BBL, so I go down there to talk to them. Officer asked me to step outside and answer his questions (that would have meant standing on Ocean Blvd), I refused. Through the door I said what is the problem officer? He told me our party was getting out of hand. I said well, I'll tell everyone to leave but I am not coming out on to a public street to talk to you and slammed the door on him.

Hurt his feelings. Bad. He called in reinforcements. They decided that this menace to society needed to be dealt with, so, they smashed an olive with a sledge hammer. Kicked in our door and arrested 8 of us, booked us but didn't charge anyone, let us all go after a little blowing off steam by Long Beach Ca Police. I love the police.

Quote:
Try heaven for the scenery and hell for the company
Work hard today! Millions on welfare are counting on you.
Seethroughsouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #1513
Low Tone
Gone And Forgotten

https://medium.com/the-nib/officer-f...y-28e8d9399bbb
Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #1514
bassesofalessergod
Captain Downer

Quote:
So much comedy.

i'd rather get shot at by water cannons and bean bags than machine guns.

O propheta, certe penis tuus clum versus erectus est
bassesofalessergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #1515
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
bassesofalessergod said... View Post
The only person who was shot during the Ferguson situation was Michael Brown.

That said, I don't give a crap because no matter where I live, my home will never be in an area where riots are likely to happen.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #1516
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Quote:
I said well, I'll tell everyone to leave but I am not coming out on to a public street to talk to you and slammed the door on him.
I'm starting to see a common thread in all of your stories...

t3ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:29 AM   #1517
ironfist
lecherous voyeur

Quote:
I have Zimbardo's last book (The Lucifer Effect) and the guy really is a pompous douche. He expresses very little (if any) genuine remorse for the experiment that made him famous and seems to consider himself a genius. Even so, the Stanford prison experiment (however flawed) was a very critical insight into human behavior in certain roles and formal structures.

But yes, otherwise ordinary human beings can do remarkable horrible things given the right set of circumstances.
ironfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #1518
Mikko

Quote:
bassesofalessergod said... View Post
Quote:
The only person who was shot during the Ferguson situation was Michael Brown.

That said, I don't give a crap because no matter where I live, my home will never be in an area where riots are likely to happen.
I think this was the reference.

Mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #1519
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Old 08-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #1520
King Kashue
Hippity hoppity

Quote:
ironfist said... View Post
I have Zimbardo's last book (The Lucifer Effect) and the guy really is a pompous douche.
Suuuuuuuch a douche.

Quote:
He expresses very little (if any) genuine remorse for the experiment that made him famous and seems to consider himself a genius.
Yep, and he puts forth the idea that basically "institutions override individuals all the time"...you know, except for all the times that didn't happen, even in his experiment. It's his career-maker though, it has to be brilliant or he isn't.

Quote:
Even so, the Stanford prison experiment (however flawed) was a very critical insight into human behavior in certain roles and formal structures.
It was sooooooo flawed though. The fact that it was constructed improperly and not remotely ethical really undermines its usefulness and contributions.

TOPICAL WEBCOMIC MAN IS ALL UP IN THIS PIECE!!!

King Kashue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #1521
t3ch
cucklord 9000

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5680351.html

Commander Ron Johnson took over the police force in Ferguson Thursday night, told the officers in charge to remove their gas masks, and sent away the snipers and military vehicles. Then he opened the streets and marched peacefully with the protestors.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #1522
Low Tone
Gone And Forgotten

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5680351.html

Commander Ron Johnson took over the police force in Ferguson Thursday night, told the officers in charge to remove their gas masks, and sent away the snipers and military vehicles. Then he opened the streets and marched peacefully with the protestors.
Aaaaannnndddddd...... There went that plan as of 12:00 AM today.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0GF0LP20140817

This shit is seriously fucked.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #1523
ironfist
lecherous voyeur

Quote:
It was sooooooo flawed though. The fact that it was constructed improperly and not remotely ethical really undermines its usefulness and contributions.
Very true, although it's still very intriguing that even a directed "experiment" such as the SPE produced Zimbardo's anticipated results (even though he'll never admit as much) so quickly and in such dramatic fashion. As far as usefulness and contributions go, I guess it could be a lesson on how NOT to conduct an experiment. That's useful.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 AM   #1524
ironfist
lecherous voyeur

I think this is worth a read:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...on-110038.html
What I Did After Police Killed My Son
Old 08-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #1525
Uncle Mat
STEEL ADJUSTABLE NECK

Quote:
ironfist said... View Post
I think this is worth a read:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...on-110038.html
What I Did After Police Killed My Son

Definitely worth the read, but I couldn't help pulling this quote for my own emphasis:

Quote:
The problem over many decades, in other words, was a near-total lack of accountability for wrongdoing; and if police on duty believe they can get away with almost anything, they will act accordingly. As a military pilot, I knew that if law professionals investigated police-related deaths like, say, the way that the National Transportation Safety Board investigated aviation mishaps, police-related deaths would be at an all time low.

Uncle Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #1526
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

That's horrible.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #1527
Seethroughsouls
BHMCC

Quote:
That's horrible.
and probably far more common than we'll ever know
Seethroughsouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #1528
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
and probably far more common than we'll ever know
Agreed.

People wonder why black neighborhoods riot and loot when they get angry, but I think it all boils down to feeling totally powerless to initiate change in the institutions that affect them. Politicians and news organizations don't listen to the concerns of poor minorities, and then take action to change. It took a retired Lieutenant Colonel months and months of diligent work to make something happen.

So really, while rioting and looting is lame, it's hard to judge them when I'm someone who at least has skin tone on my side, not that I have any more power or clout than they do.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #1529
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

A cop executing one of my kids would probably be the trigger that turns me into a murderer.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #1530
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
A cop executing one of my kids would probably be the trigger that turns me into a murderer.
And the media would make sure that you were the story, not what the cop did to your kid. They would show graphics of slain officers with heroic flags behind them, so clean cut and perfect. They would help raise money for their families, and politicians would pound the drums of gun control and the need for more cops and prisons.