ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #1501
xOriginalNinjax

Having in-law drama, some fucker stole my credit card info (guessing via Amazon, but not sure), have a load that is over legal weight so having to bypass the weigh stations to prevent being ticketed for it...trying to figure out if we'll have a car tonight to go run errands or just for tomorrow when we go look at a house.

The way things are going, our offer is going to end up refused on the house we look at tomorrow, or it will sell or get a better offer.

Don't you just wish some days that you could bend life over and fuck it as hard is it does you? (Yeah, that's probably the worst thing I've ever said on a forum...)
xOriginalNinjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #1502
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Question

E
Quote:
willsellout said... View Post
Do you have roommates?
Yup, it was part of the rent money she gave me.

She handed me an envelope 5 days ago and said "here's $850". I didnt count it until today since I wasnt going to the bank. Today there's $700, she's adamant it was all there. So either she's wrong, lying, or it was stolen, and I havent had any guests. She has.

She left the house immediately, very angry and defensive.

My YouTube Channel

Standards: Better when low. - BottomHeavyKate

"Whack shitter closet" is a phrase that needs to go somewhere. - ec437
Croissant Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #1503
willsellout
Taking some time off

Quote:
Croissant Seven said... View Post
E

She handed me an envelope 5 days ago and said "here's $850". I didnt count it until today since I wasnt going to the bank. Today there's $700, she's adamant it was all there. So either she's wrong, lying, or it was stolen, and I havent had any guests. She has.

What did you learn?

Seriously though, do you have any reason to think she purposefully shorted you? If not, I think you should switch to checks or both of you drop money in a bank account rather than keeping cash laying around.
willsellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #1504
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
What did you learn?

Seriously though, do you have any reason to think she purposefully shorted you? If not, I think you should switch to checks or both of you drop money in a bank account rather than keeping cash laying around.
I have no reason to believe anything.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #1505
willsellout
Taking some time off

Quote:
I have no reason to believe anything.
IN that case I say offer a couple handy's to some willing participants and move on

Sorry to hear about this though....shit sucks.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #1506
Vanlatte

Quote:
E

Dang, that really sucks. Here you are being reasonable by not counting it in front of her, it ends up short and you are the one that ends up taking heat. No win situation

We live in an age where mass communication has counter intuitively turned all attempts at verbal debate into a basketball game where the teams are on different courts and stand around the basket racking up meaningless points and throwing shit over the dividing wall.

- Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Vanlatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #1507
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
Vanlatte said... View Post
No win situation
The title of my autobiography.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #1508
niomosy

So even my boss is saying, "this Christmas should be happy, next Christmas? Probably not" with regard to employment. Banks are hurting and IT is the current scapegoat for the bank I work for.

We had a reorg and a few groups laid off recently. We're expecting another round in 12-18mo. It's a shame, really, that they're going to go this route given some of the business unit excess I've seen (cocktail parties 4 Mo-Th for a project that just completed, we had one business unit lady say she really did just about nothing and they paid professional services to do the work she was expecting to do. She's now looking elsewhere for work). Yet IT is easy to blame. They're not a profit center so it's easy to look to IT to cut costs.

Fortunately, I've watched companies try this. They start using external services for a number of things because it's cheaper. The problem is, you get what you pay for. The worst part, 10 years ago we were doing this and started pulling things in-house because we had better support and more reliability that way. Now we've got new managers in that are back to thinking that IT is expensive and want to externalize more. Good luck with that. You'll start moving services external only to realize that it doesn't have the uptimes you're used to and then go on a hiring spree to get people in so you can bring everything back in again. Only to have some new group try the same shit 10 years later, I suspect.

WINNER of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award 8/8/2006

Blog
niomosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #1509
Jugghaid
Buildiing green economies

Quote:
niomosy said... View Post
So even my boss is saying, "this Christmas should be happy, next Christmas? Probably not" with regard to employment. Banks are hurting and IT is the current scapegoat for the bank I work for.

We had a reorg and a few groups laid off recently. We're expecting another round in 12-18mo. It's a shame, really, that they're going to go this route given some of the business unit excess I've seen (cocktail parties 4 Mo-Th for a project that just completed, we had one business unit lady say she really did just about nothing and they paid professional services to do the work she was expecting to do. She's now looking elsewhere for work). Yet IT is easy to blame. They're not a profit center so it's easy to look to IT to cut costs.

Fortunately, I've watched companies try this. They start using external services for a number of things because it's cheaper. The problem is, you get what you pay for. The worst part, 10 years ago we were doing this and started pulling things in-house because we had better support and more reliability that way. Now we've got new managers in that are back to thinking that IT is expensive and want to externalize more. Good luck with that. You'll start moving services external only to realize that it doesn't have the uptimes you're used to and then go on a hiring spree to get people in so you can bring everything back in again. Only to have some new group try the same shit 10 years later, I suspect.
short memories suck.

WE've had our IT run by a couple of independent contractors for years whenI got here. I got them to pay to bring a really good guy in house. Out infrastructure is much better for it.

I personally don't want to be #2 or #3 on someones priority list when it comes to my systems.

“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.”
-Joss Whedon

"Our Dark Lord has some tasty spunk, yo."
-C7

www.corezero.rocks
Jugghaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #1510
niomosy

Quote:
Jugghaid said... View Post
short memories suck.

WE've had our IT run by a couple of independent contractors for years whenI got here. I got them to pay to bring a really good guy in house. Out infrastructure is much better for it.

I personally don't want to be #2 or #3 on someones priority list when it comes to my systems.
Hell I think we'd be happy at #2 or 3 with some of our vendors

The worst part is, this management's short-term memories aren't very good either. We have one vendor we deal with where it was almost a weekly problem for quite a while. Even now, at least once a month there's some issue and there was talk of bringing that function in.... while putting others out, it seems.

Ah well, at least this management is decisively indecisive
niomosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #1511
Jugghaid

Quote:
niomosy said... View Post
Hell I think we'd be happy at #2 or 3 with some of our vendors

The worst part is, this management's short-term memories aren't very good either. We have one vendor we deal with where it was almost a weekly problem for quite a while. Even now, at least once a month there's some issue and there was talk of bringing that function in.... while putting others out, it seems.

Ah well, at least this management is decisively indecisive
I can't afford to even be #2. Every hour my systems are down costs thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #1512
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

No corporate mismanagement or waste in niomosy's large banking shop, move along...

In other news, my second right-most toe is definitely unhappy with me after aikido this a.m. Got to be at least a sprain/strain of some kind. Hope it's not a break, because I did hear/feel a moderate "pop".

Guess we'll see what color it turns tomorrow.

I'm probably going to lose a beautiful fall running day because of it.

Well that explains a lot: While the rest of the world is playing an "e" note, you're playing a schwa. -DevilRaysFan to lug

“There are thoughtless dilettanti or purblind worldlings who sometimes ask us: 'What is it that Britain and France are fighting for?' To this I answer: 'If we left off fighting, you would soon find out.'" -Winston Churchill
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #1513
Samson
Likebanging your mom

I haven't read much of this thread really, but I just got back from my friend's infant son's funeral. Holy awful.
-BottomHeavyKate
Do everything Samson says.
-Also BottomHeavyKate
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #1514
SDM
Flightless Manicotti

Quote:
Samson said... View Post
I haven't read much of this thread really, but I just got back from my friend's infant son's funeral. Holy awful.
damn.
SDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #1515
jonjohn
I'm back

Shit, That is terrible. What can you say to them.
jonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #1516
p1gg1e

Quote:
Samson said... View Post
Those are hard, you are a wonderful person for attending and I hope the family has lots of support in this difficult time.
Quote:
Samson said... View Post
Like a sunset, or honeydew mellon, or a 3rd nipple.
Quote:
King Kashue said... View Post
She's right
Quote:
catphish said... View Post
Sorry piggie. You were right.
Quote:
Kindness said... View Post
I think you're right.
p1gg1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #1517
Jugghaid

Just got a call that my dad just had a heart attack (his 2nd, first was about 12 years ago). New stints being installed as we speak in the Cath Lab. Off to the hospital.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #1518
Kindness
Full Blown Lobstrosity

Sorry Juggs. My best wishes to you and your dad.
Kindness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #1519
Jugghaid

Quote:
Kindness said... View Post
Sorry Juggs. My best wishes to you and your dad.
Thanks. I appreciate that. He's doing okay. New stints installed. He's gonna be laid up at the hospital for a few days is all til his heart gets a little stronger. No major damage done it looks like. Mom got the nitro and baby asprin into him right away and it looks like a real minor one luckily.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #1520
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Much mojo to your dad. Glad your Mom got on it right away! :fingerscrossed:
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #1521
Jugghaid

Thanks guys.

Oh, and I have Jury duty tomorrow. Yay!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #1522
persona non grata

Quote:
Jugghaid said... View Post
Thanks. I appreciate that. He's doing okay. New stints installed. He's gonna be laid up at the hospital for a few days is all til his heart gets a little stronger. No major damage done it looks like. Mom got the nitro and baby asprin into him right away and it looks like a real minor one luckily.
Wow, close call. Glad it wasn't worse and hope he recovers quickly.
persona non grata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #1523
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
Just sliced my thumb down to the bone with a filet knife. I'm probably going to need stitches....

Innocent post from Kate.
Cocks come cock it all up.
Kate starts cursing.
Kate realizes that cocks are cocking her out of love.
Kate rides the wave.
Group hug.
t3ch says something racist.
www.cmkfinancialservices.com

BottomHeavyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #1524
willsellout
Taking some time off

Quote:
BottomHeavyKate said... View Post
Just sliced my thumb down to the bone with a filet knife. I'm probably going to need stitches....
That sucks. You will most definitely need stitches.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #1525
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
Quote:
That sucks. You will most definitely need stitches.
I know I should, but I'm just wrapping and splinting it so i don't bend it and crack the son of a b*tch open.

It's a pain in the ass that I'm allergic to antibiotic ointment and all adhesives....
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #1526
Reverend179

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend179
Quote:
I know I should, but I'm just wrapping and splinting it so i don't bend it and crack the son of a b*tch open.

It's a pain in the ass that I'm allergic to antibiotic ointment and all adhesives....
Are you feeling any numbness in your finger? You can cut nerves and lose feeling in your finger REALLY easily, especially if you cut down to the bone.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #1527
jonjohn
I'm back

Can you bend it? It would suck to hit a tendon
jonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #1528
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Quote:
Reverend179 said... View Post
Are you feeling any numbness in your finger? You can cut nerves and lose feeling in your finger REALLY easily, especially if you cut down to the bone.
I have feeling at the end of my thumb, well as much as I ever do.

Quote:
jonjohn said... View Post
Can you bend it? It would suck to hit a tendon

Testing it...I can bend it - I don't bend it far because I don't want to open the damn thing up. Everything seems functioning, just painful and bloody.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #1529
Reverend179

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend179
Quote:
I have feeling at the end of my thumb, well as much as I ever do.

Testing it...I can bend it - I don't bend it far because I don't want to open the damn thing up. Everything seems functioning, just painful and bloody.

This is a good thing. My ex-roommate was a butcher, and dude had nerve damage in two of his fingers from deep cuts.
Reverend179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #1530
GravelRock
Arrows R Us

If it is as bad of a cut as you say, you may want to consider having that looked at A.S.A.P. Infections suck.

Last edited by GravelRock; 11-18-2012 at 06:17 PM.
GravelRock is offline   Reply With Quote