ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #3001
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
Zamfir said... View Post
Sinatra is usually great.

Sorry you're screwed out of your kitchen.
Its Sinatra for the sake of Sinatra. I do not abide.

I also just stormed the scene with a pound of hamburgee, shock and awe style. Im in no mood for butternut squash tomfoolery.

My YouTube Channel

Standards: Better when low. - BottomHeavyKate

"Whack shitter closet" is a phrase that needs to go somewhere. - ec437
Croissant Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #3002
Freak
on a Leash

Send a message via Skype™ to Freak
I was asked to apply to this school. They told me the deputy head of department would be giving up the post at some point this academic year, either through choice or because of competency procedures, and they wanted an experienced teacher who could bed into the department and then take over the deputy role when the current post holder no longer held it.

He resigned his post two weeks ago. I went to see the head teacher to enquire about the role. We had a long conversation (over half an hour) which I won't bore you with but he told me he was going to advertise the role externally. He talked about mistakes having been made in the past when promoting internally (the current post holder being one example he cited) and said he needs to strengthen the department. Said he wasn't telling me not to apply and if I was the strongest candidate I would get the job but that he was hoping for a strong field of applicants. Also commented that there were "financial implications" if he appointed internally as he'd then have to advertise again for a straightforward teacher role (£600 per advert).

So, basically, don't get your hopes up love, you're only the reserve if we can't find something better.

The current post holder actually had a heart attack last summer and only recently came back to work so I've been doing his job since September for no extra pay thinking it was going to be my job and so worth getting used to the prodecures, etc.. Feel like a mug now. I could have applied elsewhere last year and got immediate promotion, but I liked the look of this school and the head of department is a friend of a friend and amazing, so I went for it on the promise of the promotion. Now I can't leave if (when?) I don't get said promotion as it would be the third school I'd left in four years and look dodgy on my CV.
Do not listen to a word I say, just listen to what I can keep silent. The only way to gain approval is by exploiting the very thing that cheapens me. Someone somewhere soon will take care of you, I repent, I'm sorry, everything is falling apart. Houses as ruins and gardens as weeds. Why do anything when you can forget everything? I stare at the sky and it leaves me blind. I close my eyes and this is yesterday.

Winner of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award!!! 15th July 2016
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #3003
p1gg1e

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
I was asked to apply to this school. They told me the deputy head of department would be giving up the post at some point this academic year, either through choice or because of competency procedures, and they wanted an experienced teacher who could bed into the department and then take over the deputy role when the current post holder no longer held it.

He resigned his post two weeks ago. I went to see the head teacher to enquire about the role. We had a long conversation (over half an hour) which I won't bore you with but he told me he was going to advertise the role externally. He talked about mistakes having been made in the past when promoting internally (the current post holder being one example he cited) and said he needs to strengthen the department. Said he wasn't telling me not to apply and if I was the strongest candidate I would get the job but that he was hoping for a strong field of applicants. Also commented that there were "financial implications" if he appointed internally as he'd then have to advertise again for a straightforward teacher role (£600 per advert).

So, basically, don't get your hopes up love, you're only the reserve if we can't find something better.

The current post holder actually had a heart attack last summer and only recently came back to work so I've been doing his job since September for no extra pay thinking it was going to be my job and so worth getting used to the prodecures, etc.. Feel like a mug now. I could have applied elsewhere last year and got immediate promotion, but I liked the look of this school and the head of department is a friend of a friend and amazing, so I went for it on the promise of the promotion. Now I can't leave if (when?) I don't get said promotion as it would be the third school I'd left in four years and look dodgy on my CV.
Start looking now and see if you can work something out if they will..
Quote:
Samson said... View Post
Like a sunset, or honeydew mellon, or a 3rd nipple.
Quote:
King Kashue said... View Post
She's right
Quote:
catphish said... View Post
Sorry piggie. You were right.
Quote:
Kindness said... View Post
I think you're right.
p1gg1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #3004
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Quote:
Freak said... View Post

Ugh. That doth suck. Mojo and cheers.

I too remember being heavily encouraged to apply for the tenure track version of my job. Only to find out that they intended to appoint a woman all along, preferably one with expertise on Russia and NGOs. They got their mark, but screwed me over (at a really bad time with my ex in crisis).

Hope your case isn't that bad and that you have a legitimate shot. I wouldn't give up on it if you still like the head of dept. Meanwhile lobby everyone else in the decisionmaking circle and dazzle them with your expertise / get stuff done attitude. It's all about building minimum winning coalitions.

If they gripe about the £600 per advert, point out that your training for free for months saved them well beyond that, and so will hiring the right person to succeed you.

I wouldn't indulge my acid inclinations to express being less than moved by the costs of recruitment that every other organization out there has to go through.

Well that explains a lot: While the rest of the world is playing an "e" note, you're playing a schwa. -DevilRaysFan to lug

“There are thoughtless dilettanti or purblind worldlings who sometimes ask us: 'What is it that Britain and France are fighting for?' To this I answer: 'If we left off fighting, you would soon find out.'" -Winston Churchill
Zamfir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #3005
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

600 is a smokin deal for a recruitment, especially for a deputy-level post. Thats a crappy reason to throw out there.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #3006
Freak
on a Leash

That's not for recruitment, that's just to place an ad in the Times Educational Supplement. It's incredibly expensive to advertise teaching posts in comparison to private sector roles.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #3007
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

I'm still not moved / shedding tears.

Let alone questions of why use the Times Educational Supplemental versus other channels...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #3008
Freak
on a Leash

The TES has the monopoly. No teacher goes anywhere else when they're looking to change jobs.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #3009
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
That's not for recruitment, that's just to place an ad in the Times Educational Supplement. It's incredibly expensive to advertise teaching posts in comparison to private sector roles.
Right, but compared to a recruitment fee they'll pay to bring in candidates with YOUR qualifications, to interview for the job you want, 600 is a bargain.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #3010
Freak
on a Leash

What recruitment fee?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #3011
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
What recruitment fee?
If an organization hires a recruiter to fill a position, the recruiter doesn't work for free. A successful placement can result in as much as a $10,000 fee.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #3012
SDM
Flightless Manicotti

I don't find my worker to be very intelligent. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations, but this is pathetic how bad it has been this month. Hopefully next month he will improve... Gotta pick up a ton of slack again. *sigh*
SDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #3013
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
If an organization hires a recruiter to fill a position, the recruiter doesn't work for free. A successful placement can result in as much as a $10,000 fee.
They may not even hire a recruiter, but it's still that expensive to advertise, filter, interview, background check, and onboard a deputy-level candidate.

In short, Mel, it sucks that they gave you the reasons they did, the cost saving bit is insultory to you and Im sorry you're having to deal with it.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #3014
p1gg1e

Le sigh. The vaporizer we had running for a week grew mold behind our bed. We need a new set likely and ill have to clean the wall....need a bed frame also so this wont happen again....now where did I put that money tree....
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #3015
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Quote:
p1gg1e said... View Post
Le sigh. The vaporizer we had running for a week grew mold behind our bed. We need a new set likely and ill have to clean the wall....need a bed frame also so this wont happen again....now where did I put that money tree....
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/03/...6361362513137

Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #3016
p1gg1e

Yeah....no.

Ill just convince BP to go to Ikea on our way home next week with a new mattress and bed frame. Maybe.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #3017
Freak
on a Leash

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
I work in a state school. No state school can afford that kind of money or would ever hire a recruiter. The advert goes in the TES, the head's PA collates the applications, the senior leadership team (head, his deputies and assistants) shortlist and interview. To my knowledge, not even the private sector use recruiters.

C7 - deputy head of department is not a high ranking position. It's the first rung on the promotional ladder. Heads of department are what's known as "middle leaders"; their seconds are nothing. The role doesn't even have any additional non-contact time allocated.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #3018
Jugghaid
Buildiing green economies

No hypothetical box of drugs showed up today from a mystery mailer.

Dangit!!!

“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.”
-Joss Whedon

"Our Dark Lord has some tasty spunk, yo."
-C7

www.corezero.rocks
Jugghaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #3019
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Feel like someone hit me in the neck with a crowbar and smashed a pie in my face. Bad timing to be sick. Dammit.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #3020
t3ch
cucklord 9000

How was the show?

t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #3021
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
How was the show?
Good, thanks to high-magnitude assists from BHK and Kindness.

"Backline" at this club doesnt include amplifier, a fact I only discovered on like Monday, and I sold my GK. So I had to scramble, and thankfully Kate let me use her Lakland, and car, so I could get the amp from Kindness and not have to double hoodride home after work.

A lot of stress for a 30 min unpaid set, and I wasnt feeling super great yesterday, guess I had to pay for it today. Ugh.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #3022
SmallEQ

Quote:
Croissant Seven said... View Post

"Backline" at this club doesnt include amplifier, a fact I only discovered on like Monday, and I sold my GK. So I had to scramble, and thankfully Kate let me use her Lakland, and car, so I could get the amp from Kindness and not have to double hoodride home after work.

A lot of stress for a 30 min unpaid set, and I wasnt feeling super great yesterday, guess I had to pay for it today. Ugh.
I was going to try to make it last night but found out I need a specific outfit for some charity event I'm volunteering at on Friday and last night was the only chance I had to go get it.

Glad it went well though.
SmallEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #3023
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
SmallEQ said... View Post
I was going to try to make it last night but found out I need a specific outfit for some charity event I'm volunteering at on Friday and last night was the only chance I had to go get it.

Glad it went well though.
No worries at all. I think our bands would fit nicely togetheron a bill, maybe we can get a show together late spring or something.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #3024
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Quote:

I KNEW IT. I saw the pic Ralph posted and was like, "... what the, is that Kate's axe??" but figured no why would he be using hers, maybe I just didn't see that bass when I was there...
t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #3025
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
Quote:
No worries at all. I think our bands would fit nicely togetheron a bill, maybe we can get a show together late spring or something.
Dude, you guys sounded good. You and the drummer so need to do something heavier.

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
I KNEW IT. I saw the pic Ralph posted and was like, "... what the, is that Kate's axe??" but figured no why would he be using hers, maybe I just didn't see that bass when I was there...

Innocent post from Kate.
Cocks come cock it all up.
Kate starts cursing.
Kate realizes that cocks are cocking her out of love.
Kate rides the wave.
Group hug.
t3ch says something racist.
www.cmkfinancialservices.com

BottomHeavyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #3026
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
BottomHeavyKate said... View Post
Dude, you guys sounded good. You and the drummer so need to do something heavier.

Goung with the flow right now, we found a keys/guitarist, he was there last night. Talked to him outside after the set, he wants to do some funk as well.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #3027
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
Quote:
Goung with the flow right now, we found a keys/guitarist, he was there last night. Talked to him outside after the set, he wants to do some funk as well.
They guy after you was really good, except for his weird, greasy, wankery friend. It made no sense. You had one guy on acoustic, putting down some good riffs with some powerful vocals and his buddy just standing next to him fiddley twiddling around on a hollowbody....
BottomHeavyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #3028
Jugghaid
Buildiing green economies

josh can bring da funk......
Jugghaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #3029
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

God almighty but contracted Portuguese pronouns suck the big one. What a headache.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #3030
slapthefunkyfour
Something Creative Here

Send a message via Skype™ to slapthefunkyfour
Tonight, I finally got around to taking down all the family and wedding related pictures in my house. It took a couple glasses of wine, a bunch of good beer, and a shit ton load of crappy beer for me to feel up to it.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be ok with this, I'll probably just get used to it.
slapthefunkyfour is offline   Reply With Quote